With our organisational members in over 100 countries, we provide a global voice on hospice and palliative care
The Worldwide Hospice Palliative Care Alliance (WHPCA) is an international non-governmental organisation focusing exclusively on hospice and palliative care development worldwide. We are a network of national and regional hospice and palliative care organisations and affiliate organisations.
Our mission is:
To bring together the global palliative care community to improve well-being and reduce unnecessary suffering for those in need of palliative care in collaboration with the regional and national hospice and palliative care organisations and other partners.
We believe that no-one with a life-limiting condition, such as cancer or HIV, should live and die with unnecessary pain and distress. Our vision is a world with universal access to hospice and palliative care. Our mission is to foster, promote and influence the delivery of affordable, quality palliative care.
The WHPCA is registered in the UK where our secretariat staff are currently based.
WHPCA Key Messages
- Hospice and palliative care aim to relieve suffering and to improve the quality of life of people and their families and carers facing life threatening and life limiting illness.
- At least 40 million need palliative care annually, including 20 million at the end of life. 18 million of these die in avoidable pain and distress.
- Pain management is essential to hospice and palliative care and the WHPCA works to improve access to these essential medications. Over 75% of the world’s population lacks adequate access to the medications needed to treat their pain.
- The WHPCA believes that the person accessing care should be at the centre of their care. Palliative care looks after the physical, psychological, social, practical, legal and spiritual needs of the person and their family.
- The WHPCA advocates for hospice and palliative care worldwide and supports national and organisations to integrate hospice and palliative care into their country’s health systems.
- The WHPCA works with partner organisations to care for people, their family members and carers to alleviate pain and distress and promote quality of life.
Download the WHPCA Factsheet via the link below.